Sunday, January 26, 2014

Gaming Benefits

Gaming Benefits
Power to motivate
Tom Chatfield tells us in his TED talk, 7 ways games reward the brain, about the power to motivate that games have over us. Through incremental rewards for incremental goals, gamers progress to the next goal and their reward is intrinsic.  Many of the readings and videos spoke to role of the brain chemical dopamine. The motivation to persevere is the brain seeking another surge of dopamine -- the fuel of intrinsic reinforcement (Willis, 2014). I have heard from doctors for many years of the powerful effects this drug has on the human body. It is said that addictions in general have dopamine to thank for the desired or undesired behavior that triggers the pleasure center of our brain. I recognized the feeling the first time I engaged in Settlers Online and felt I had to keep coming back to it.
Collaborative Learning
The interactive nature of games, both with the game itself and others we may be joined with, is a reflection of real world situations in that, for us to survive we must cooperate with others. My students always learned more in a team environment than any other, and they enjoyed it more, too. The same is true with the Settlers game, when I first began; there was no one to help because I was in the wrong realm. I felt at a loss and struggled to solve my problem. It was only with help of someone else that I was back on track.
Epic Win
The epic win Jane McGonigal refers to in her TED talk is a new term for me, however, the feeling is not nor is its associated looks. Overcoming challenges has always been a human trait that I admired and we have all felt it with or without games. The first time you rode your bike by yourself, learning to read, ran a marathon; the list goes on and on. This look is performed for us on televisions across the globe by way of sporting events every day. I want to see that look on the faces of my students.
Quest Atlantis on the Learning Channel
Gaming in the classroom
Jane McGonigal: Gaming can make a better world
Tom Chatfield: 7 ways games reward the brain
http://www.ted.com/talks/tom_chatfield_7_ways_games_reward_the_brain.html

No comments:

Post a Comment