Saturday, February 8, 2014

Fix 3-4

What does Settlers Online do that motivates us to continue playing the game? For one, it gives us goals to accomplish. Not big goals that could discourage us, but manageable ones. Each time we succeed in the endeavor, rewards appear. This is leveling up. The rewards are both intrinsic and extrinsic. Our sense of worth is increased and tangible objects for the game appear for us to use to reach the next goal. These goals are guided by processes, or actionable steps we must take in order to succeed. My next goal is to defeat a bandit camp with 50 or more cavalry. This is a clear goal with specific, actionable steps.

I may not succeed the first time I try this task but if I don’t, that won’t stop me from trying again. I have been defeated before in this game.  No, let me rephrase that. I have encountered setbacks in this game, my general lost more than once, among others. Yet I tried again because I knew I could do it, and I did! That was satisfying work because it was achievable and it was completed.

How did I know I would be successful? This game was difficult from the start. It is difficult today, both for different reasons. The fact that I was playing this game for a class was quickly lost as I progressed.  I chose to take risks, exploring the boundaries of success and failure. Playing on the edge of failure became exciting. The difficulties at the beginning were frustrating. Today they are welcome challenges that are eagerly anticipated, no matter the outcome. Each level reached in the game is an indication of mastery of certain skills acquired at that level. Each new level brings new challenges to meet and the confidence I have to accomplish that is magnified by the previous successes. Early on, I was not a gamer and I may not be much of one now, but my horizons have been expanded and I can’t unlearn what I have learned about myself and for that I am grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Michael, nice post this week regarding your ongoing endeavors playing Settlers. You explained how to “level up” and how and how the rewards you earn keep you playing for more. You did a good job explaining that each level that you reach just shows that you can master that level, not the next one. Since I’m also not a gamer I can relate to your difficulty in learning the game and keeping up with our classmates, although you are far more successful at it than I am.

    ReplyDelete