My time spent with the Settlers game has shown me the collaborative
efforts of the players to reach a common goal. In order to succeed, one must cooperatively
coordinate or synchronize with other players to identify a common goal in order
to co-create a desired outcome, one that no one player could have accomplished
on their own. My last adventure, The Dark Priests, required the collaboration of
one other player. Neither of us knew what we were doing and as a result, we did
not succeed, but we sure did learn a lot. I look forward to more combined
adventures now that I know a little more of what to expect.
As McGonigal notes (pg. 271), “We have a hardwired desire
and capacity to cooperate and coordinate our actions with others, to actively
immerse ourselves in groups and to actively cocreate positive shared experiences.”
This is certainly borne out in my personal experience with cooperative learning
groups in my classroom. Translation of skills learned in cooperative learning
or gaming environments, amounting to the 10,000+ hours of practice required for
extraordinary status, to real world situations that require these Collaboration
Superpowers that McGonigal refers to, should make for a much better prepared
group of problem solvers we will need in the future.
McGonigal refers to a definition of “shared intentionality”
as “the ability to participate with others in collaborative activities with
shared goals and intentions” (pg. 270). I do not believe that this is solely a “distinctly
human capacity” (pg. 260). She refers to the research, stating that no other
intelligent species is capable of this quality. From bees and ants to African
Wild Dogs and coyotes, all cooperate and learn from each other for their common
good. Perhaps, we are the only species cognizant of our intent to cooperate,
but I do not believe we are alone in its application.
A few years ago, a friend was telling me about his gaming
experiences and I was convinced that this was something I wanted to try. I
bought the Xbox w/Kinect and a number of games to go along with it, including the
newest Call of Duty. This was an expensive lesson for me as I did not have the
requisite coordination skills to operate the controller and did not enjoy these
games and now they sit here unused. I get more pleasure watching my nephews
play these games than I ever got playing them myself. I think that as soon as I
get the okay from their mother, I will transfer the whole thing to them. My younger
nephew, who is nine, is very adept at the online aspect of the games and is
fearless when it comes time to “ping” another player for help or just chat. I
look forward to seeing how these experiences will affect his behavior in the
future in terms of cooperation and collaboration.
Hi Michael
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with Call of Duty. I do not enjoy that game and have stopped my sons from playing it. We have an XBox as well. But as a family we have come to enjoy Just Dance, Mindcraft and a new Tractor simulator. At Christmas we had the entire family dancing, young and old:)
Your comments on the animals I also agree with. It may not be their intent to cooperate but they all work for the same goal. Especially the bees and ants. I once saw a hive bigger than me. That was a sight I hope to never see again.
My guild master saved one of my adventures recently. I took on Motherly Love. I had received it from one of my explorers and thought that I would try it. I looked at the guide and had my men ready. But I got to the final camp and could not finish it off. So I asked my guild master what to do. I sent him an invitation and he took his men. Had it finished in 20 minutes. He told me it is very tricky and next time he would help again if necessary:) Though I don't think I will try again anytime soon:)