The simulations I chose are Java Applets with flash Player. It has been my
experience that, while beneficial, students are easily bored with them. The students
are so accustomed to action games and graphics that will astound them; simple
simulations such as these are not adequate to keep their attention for long. I have
enjoyed teaching physics and have used simulations that are not available to
the public, but these simulations are sufficient to enhance a lesson.
The first simulation is from PHELT interactive simulations
from the University of Colorado and is titled “Force and Motion: Basics.
https://phet.colorado.edu/sims/html/forces-and-motion-basics/latest/forces-and-motion-basics_en.html
These simulations allow the student to manipulate the
different variables and see what effect the alterations have on the activity.
There are four basic activities: Tug of War, Motion, Friction and acceleration.
Another simulation I found is aimed at students who are
thinking about becoming doctors. It is titled ‘Arm surgery2” from http://www.learn4good.com/games/simulation/doctor-hospital-games-for-kids.htm and while it may sound somewhat gruesome to some, it may help some students
thinking about a career in medicine or even a student who has experienced this
operation or something similar, or possibly has a sibling going through a
comparable experience.

Michael: I would agree that students could become bored with the simulations. I think using them in a short time span is most beneficial. From a technical aspect, I find it somewhat frustrating that we can't run all of the simulations on our iPads and/or Chromebooks. This limits what students can work with at certain times. I do think that using simulations (in certain settings) can provide students with an additional way to think about or learn about a topic. Short of providing hands-on experience with a topic, this is a good substitute for getting students involved.
ReplyDelete